Stanton is a city located in western Orange County, California. The population was 38,186 at the 2010 census, up from 37,403 at the 2000 census. The city was incorporated in 1956 and operates under the Council-Manager form of government, providing a full range of municipal services. Stanton is bounded by Cypresson the west, Anaheim on the north, and east, and Garden Grove on the east and south.
On November 6, 1905, the Los Angeles Interurban Railway started service on the Santa Ana Line. It ran along an almost perfectly straight line between Wattsand Santa Ana. Access to transportation allowed the population of the rural area, which is now Stanton and West Anaheim to grow.
In 1908, the privately owned Pacific Electric Railway leased the Santa Ana Line and took over the service extending its regional light-rail system. By 1928, the impressive thousand-mile system allowed the residents to conveniently travel throughout Los Angeles and Orange Counties. See 1928 Map. The passenger service to Santa Ana was discontinued in 1950, shortly after the railway was taken over by the Metropolitan Transportation Agency. Today, the easement still is owned by the Orange County Transportation Authority (OCTA). It crosses the intersections of Beach Boulevard/Pacific Street and Cerritos Avenue/Western Avenue.
The first City of Stanton was incorporated in 1911 and at the time was the largest city in Orange County by area. The main motivation for incorporation was the City of Anaheim’s plan to build a “sewage farm” to the west of their city. The former Speaker of the California State Assembly Phillip Ackley Stanton assisted in the incorporation and the city was named Stanton in his honor. In 1924 the residents voted to dis-incorporate to avoid the cost of building roads in the City.
In the early 1950s, the area had experienced a post-war population boom and the neighboring cities rapidly annexed land. In May 1956 the citizens responded by re-incorporating into today’s City of Stanton.
Parks and recreation
Public parks include Harry M Dotson Park, Hollenbeck Park, the Norm Ross Sports Complex, Martha Weishaupt Linear Park, Premier Park, Stanton Community Services Center Park, Stanton Municipal Tennis Center, Stanton Park, Stanton Central Park, Veterans Memorial Park and Zuniga Park. Adventure City, a small amusement park, is located in Stanton.
In the 1950s, with help of the James Irvine Foundation, the Stanton Lions Club and a land donation from a local farmer, Lions-Stock Park was built with a sports facility and community center. This privately owned park was later purchased by the school board