Placentia (/pləˈsɛnʃə/) is a city in northern Orange County, California. The population was 50,533 during the 2010 census, up from 46,488 in the 2000 census. This includes the community of Atwood, which is included in the city of Placentia, and is located in its southernmost quadrant. Primarily referred to as a bedroom community, Placentia is known for its quiet neighborhoods.
In 1971, Placentia was honored with the prestigious “All America City” Award, given out annually by the National Civic League to ten cities in the United States.
Arts and culture
The George Key Ranch Historic District is a historic citrus ranch and Victorian ranch house in Placentia. It is now within the 2-acre George Key Ranch Historic Park, with the historic house museum, outdoor displays, and a citrus grove. It is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Placentia-Santa Fe District is in the southwest or downtown area. The town is home to the A. S. Bradford House, a historic house museum. It is also home to the 100 year old Berkenstock Mansion.
In 1973, Chicano Park’s “founding lead artist” Guillermo Aranda and “founding apprentice artist” Ernesto “Neto” Paul (San Diego, CA natives) collaborated with the art students of UC Irvine in painting a mural (approxitmately 8′ x 36′) on the walls of the Tlatepaque Restaurant. Aranda was invited by a Professor of UCI. The following year the chairman of Toltecas en Aztlan, and the board director of The Centro Cultural De La Raza, Guillermo Aranda, also invited these same Orange County artists referred to as the “Santa Ana Muralists/Santa Ana Artists,” to come to Chicano Park and paint on one of the first pillars (2nd painted pillar) of Chicano Park.
Placentia Library District
Placentia is home to one of the 13 special district libraries in California. The Placentia Library District is a single-purpose library district governed by an elected Board of Trustees. Its principal source of income is property tax proration. The library’s early history is much like other communities. Beginning in 1914, the Women’s Christian Temperance Union established a reading and recreation room for boys in a storefront on Bradford Avenue. After a successful petition and election by the residents, the Placentia Library District was officially formed on September 2, 1919. The new library district included seven square miles of the Placentia area: the north line was beyond Golden Avenue, the east line along Linda Vista through Hazard’s subdivision,the south through Golden State Tract but not as far as Miraloma Avenue and the west line along the Fullerton boundary. The Library Board of Trustees hired Placentia’s first Librarian, Sara Rideout, for $0.25 an hour, and the Women’s Christian Temperance Union turned over their reading room and 193 books. The library officially opened to the public on January 15, 1920, from 2:00–5:00 p.m. and 7:00–9:00 p.m. By 1926, a new library building was needed to meet the needs of the growing community. The building, designed in the Spanish Colonial Revival style by renowned architect Carleton Monroe Winslow, features beautiful Talavera tiles created by Mexican potter, Pedro Sanchez. In March 1927, the grand opening was held for the new library building located at 143 S.Bradford Avenue. In 1974, the library again become too small for its growing collection and was moved to its current location in the Civic Center Plaza. That same year the library boundaries expanded to reflect the same boundaries as the city. Today the Placentia Library District holds over 102,000 library materials.