Yorba Linda (“Beautiful Yorba”, in English) is a suburban city in Orange County, California, approximately 37 miles (60 km) southeast of Downtown Los Angeles. It is part of the Los Angeles metropolitan area according to the US Census. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 64,234. The Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum is located in this city.
Ranked as the one of the richest cities in the United States. A very wealthy, quiet city in Orange County, California. People are loaded but for the most part aren’t as pretentious or materialistic as the beach-city counterparts of the Upper-class OC.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 20.0 square miles (52 km2). 19.5 square miles (51 km2) of which is land and 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2) (2.67%), water.
It has two ZIP codes, 92886 and 92887, approximately the western and eastern portions of the city, respectively. A third, 92885, also exists, exclusively for PO Boxes. The city is served by area codes 657 and 714 in a geographical overlay situation, in which 714 numbers were running out, so that 657 numbers are now also being issued in the same area. Eleven-digit dialing is therefore now required for local calls.
It is bordered by Anaheim on the south, Placentia on the west and southwest, Brea on the northwest, Chino Hills State Park on the north, and Corona on the east.
The two nearest seismic faults are the Whittier Fault and the Chino Fault, both of which are part of the Elsinore Fault Zone.
The city receives 14 to 15 inches of rain per year on average. The average temperatures in January and July are 55 and 71 degrees Fahrenheit, respectively, with the overall average for the year at 63.Humidity, likewise respectively, is 52%, 60%, and 56% on average.
History of Yorba Linda
The history of Yorba Linda began long before Spanish explorers came to the area. Archaeological discoveries show that there may have been Indians in the Yorba Linda area near the Santa Ana River as early as 4,000 years ago. The modern history of Yorba Linda began in 1834 when Bernardo Yorba received a land grant from the Mexican government for 13,328 acres. He called it “Rancho Canon de Santa Ana.” It was located north of the Santa Ana River and included the present day city of Yorba Linda. In 1835 Bernardo began building one of the largest adobe houses built during theGolden Age of the California Ranchos. He named his hacienda San Antonio and it is said to have had fifty rooms. After Bernardo’s death in 1858, his land was divided between his wife and children. By 1907, some of the land was bought by Jacob Stern, a resident of Fullerton. The next year, the Janss Investment Company in Los Angeles bought Stern’s land. They named the area Yorba Linda being the last name of its original owner, Bernardo Yorba, and Linda, which means “beautiful” in Spanish.
By 1911 about thirty-five people lived in Yorba Linda. Many of them were farmers who owned orange or lemon groves. The Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company installed telephone service, and the first school was built. In 1912 the Pacific Electric Railway Company extended its service to Yorba Linda, and provided growers with swift transportation of their produce to Los Angeles. In addition, 1912 marked the year that the Southern California Edison Company installed electrical service; the first post office opened; and the first church, the Yorba Linda Friends Church, was built. Yorba Linda went through few changes between 1920 and 1960. In those forty years, Yorba Linda’s population only grew from 350 to 1,198. The town’s main business continued to be farming. It was not until the 1960’s that Yorba Linda began experiencing significant population growth. By 1967, the year the town was incorporated, the population had dramatically increased to 11,433. The 1970’s and 80’s continued the growth of the previous decade. Many of the city’s housing developments, including East Lake Village, were built during this time. In addition, a number of shopping centers were built, including the SAVI Ranch Center that is anchored by Home Depot, Best Buy, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Thomasville Home Furnishings, Michaels’s, and Chick’s Sporting Goods.
On July 19, 1990, the Richard M. Nixon Library and Birthplace was dedicated. In attendance were Richard M. Nixon and wife, Pat, and former presidents Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, and George Bush. It is a privately supported, non-profit institution dedicated to educating the public about the life and times of the thirty-seventh President and encouraging interest in history, government and public affairs. The nine acre Library & Birthplace features a 52,000 square foot museum, 22 high-tech galleries, movie and interactive video theaters, and the President’s restored birthplace.
The last ten years have seen the planning and development of the Vista Del Verde planned golf course community with over 2,000 dwelling units, and the planning of the Town Center Project which will revitalize historical Main Street.